Wednesday 18 June 2014

The Concrete Rose That Grew The Greatest: Honoring Pac


---“We remember Tupac Shakur as the son of a fighter, and as a young lion. We remember his passion for equality born from justice, and justice born from honest confrontation of racial and class inequalities. We remember him as a protest artist who used words to conscientise and to resist the claws of White supremacy, a system that fed on the dehumanisation of Black people. May the memory of this young revolutionary artist remain in our minds, for through his work, he has earned his immortality”--- Malaika Wa Azania

Yo, Pac
I have not written in a while so please forgive me in advance if there should be any visible rust from these writings.
First and foremost let me thank you for being the thorn on which the rose that I became was able to grow from. Let me thank you for the hunger and passion that you demonstrated in every single record that you have ever played on (Yes! Every single one). I would like to thank you for being the rebel that you were, for riding against the tide, weathering multiple storms in your life and for keeping hope alive for the Black child that chose Hip Hop only as a tool for escapism. Thank you for igniting the radical in me, for sharing your thoughts through words despite your militant efforts being frowned upon at that time. Thank you again for being the visionary that you were and for liberating my mind long before I knew I was a slave captive to numerous systems.
Secondly, allow me to salute the legend that you were and still are to this day. I hail you dear Pac, for leaving behind a legacy in Hip Hop that no industry rapper has managed to fill up to date and probably never will. A legacy that does not amount to record sales, how well you spat or the entendres that you summed up in your tracks.  Your legacy can never be measured by rap industry standards and for as long as Hip Hop exists, your name will never be erased from the origins that pioneered its suppleness.
I do not recall the exact moment that I fell in love with you Pac, but I do know that just like everyone else who grew up around my era, you were the only rapper that I know that was able to cross musical boundaries in ways that only you knew how. I still remember how my cousin brother- a self confessed House Music fanatic and DJ would come alive every time your song played on the radio or television. Although it was through him that I was initially introduced to you, our real official introduction would only come much later- at a stage where my love for Hip Hop was more prevalent. I will be the first to admit that in those early days, I never appreciated or listened to your music much, to me you sounded just like any other angry rapper that my young ears had been exposed to. It was only later that I began to listen and understand the sermons that you preached through rap music; it was much later when an epiphany dawned on me that you were not just another rapper trying to hit the big time but you were in fact a

prematurely sent angel from a black-nationalism heaven of sorts.

More than all the music you have put forward, more than your curious and rebellious nature- that perpetually refused to believe that the Black race was indeed inferior to any other race and would thus be subjected to being treated as second class citizen- I want to take time out to appreciate the confidence that you have instilled in me. If I love you for nothing else, it will be for your efforts to inspire every black child who was raised under pressing circumstances towards a better life. It was not only in the lyrics you spat but in everything that you stood for and spoke for that I and the troubled youth of my generation learned that we possessed the power to overcome any situation regardless of how hopeless it seemed.   
In an attempt to describe your character, Eric Dyson in Holler If You Hear Me says that you told the truth although you struggled with fragments of your identity. I could not agree with him more. You chose to shine a light on the black community although at times you found it difficult to locate or even comprehend your own, you represented an entire race of people by re-installing faith in the notion of Black Pride and Consciousness at a time when Hip Hop was mainly engaged by many only for commercial benefit. You told stories that would later remain timeless in what you understood to be mere studio vents; you stood for a truth that many lived to ignore.
Today dear Pac, I would like to honor you for the impact you have had on me personally.  It was not only in your music that I learned to speak my truth but also in the opinions you expressed outside the booth.
It was your life lived inspired that gave birth to this platform- a revolution for all of the concrete roses that are yet to discover their greatness. It was you that taught me to embrace all of my damaged petals and to celebrate my tenacity and will to reach the sun!



Long Live the Rose That Grew From Concrete When No One Else Even Cared.

Until next post,

Afrika Rising, Peace & Revolution...

No comments:

Post a Comment